Thursday, May 22, 2014

Whiplash

I wonder if you will get whiplash will the variety of topics I'm probably going to post here. I don't think I can quite categorize what type of BLOG this will be - obviously to chronicle the journey of making my own clothing line, but there's so much more.

So today is baking day - I have some great ideas for future posts, but the timing isn't quite right, so stay tuned. So I do like to bake. Less than I like to do a lot of other things, but I do bake a fair amount. I have this idea that I don't really like my kids to preservatives. Yes - I am one of those. We do have some preservatives we eat (like what's a good alternative to chicken bullion granules?))

But before you judge me as being all "granola" or something, hear me out. Here's the back story ((I love me a back story)). So when my husband switched jobs and we came to Florida, we had to wait 3 months (still waiting!) for the new job's health insurance coverage to kick in. We can pay to be on COBRA with the old company, but it's crazy expensive. We can do that retroactively if something major happens. Until then, we are not covered to best insurance wise.

SO - that means prescriptions are not covered. I am severely allergic to MANY things. Poor Sam has inherited a lot of those. So when he was 3 years old, we both went to the allergist and were tested. The Dr. had Sam go on Claritin, Singular, and Nasonex. 3 prescriptions for a 3 year old? I wasn't super happy about that. We tried to wait it out, but it was clear he needed Claritin and Singular. So he was on those for over a year.

Switch to moving to Florida with no insurance. Singular (even generic) = MAJOR expensive. Like over $100 for 30 pills. I mean, I would pay that, but only if it were ESSENTIAL. So I decided to try some alternatives before filling his prescription.

1. I bought this air purifier. It had good reviews and wasn't too expensive.

2. I took Sam off 99% of preservatives. No packaged treats, not a lot of candy, whatever. Not that we were eating Hamburger Helper and M&M's everyday, but I started watching it more. Oh - and I took out as many food dyes also.

Guess what??? It's been 2.5 months and he's fine without Singular. YES! I think his body is just better able to fight those allergies when it doesn't have preservatives and food dyes to mess it up.

But Claritin? We still need that. The last couple days I tried to take him off that to see how he would do? Not great. He holds a rag to his face for any sneezing that might happen. So - he just got a dose of Zyrtec. Let's try that out??

So - that's why I bake instead of buy prepackaged preservative snacks.

And this recipe is awesome. I got it from a friend at MOPS when I lived in Nebraska. It can be MSPI friendly, just make sure to avoid soy in the oil. Its mandatory that I eat like 3 of these the first day I make them....

And FYI - they are a bit labor intensive, but they are worth it. I will also add in what substitutions I have made and how they work. (And the calorie count on the regular and my modified)



Morning Glory Muffins

Mix

1 t. Salt
4 c. Flour (I always use fresh ground whole wheat)
2 1/2 c. Sugar (I usually do 2 or a little less)
4 t. baking soda
4 t. cinnamon

In a separate bowl, mix

4. c. grated carrots
1 c. raisins (or dried fruit)
2 c. grated apples (if I don't have these, I add 2 bananas)
1 c. coconut
8 oz crushed pineapple with juice
1 c. chopped nuts (sorry - calorie count doesn't have this in it bc Jake hates nuts in stuff - I never add it)

Mix those two together

Then add:

6 eggs (I usually do 3 eggs and 3 t. chia seed mixed with 9 T. water) ((let the chia seed mix with the water and the consistency will be like eggs - they are a great substitute for eggs if you have allergies, or want to cut cholesterol - and they are a "super" food))
2 c. oil (I usually do 1 c. oil and about 1 or 2 bananas - I'm not a very precise baker, I'm sure are picking up on this!)
4 t. vanilla

Mix everything together and put into muffin tins. (This makes a ton! Last time I made it it makes 48). So enough for now, and enough for the freezer.

Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.

So - here's the info, as I have it. Maybe you will find something different - I used the MyFitnessPal app.

Original Morning Glory Muffins
Calories: 196
Fat: 10.9
Carbs: 22.9
Protein: 2.5

My Modified Morning Glory Muffins (stats for for each muffin)
Calories: 144
Fat: 6.1
Carbs: 22.6
Protein: 2.1


Anyways - Make them today! My kids eat them up, and they are a healthier alternative to something with preservatives and food dyes.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment