Monday, May 19, 2014

Success

Sometimes I feel like I need to redefine and remind myself what I think SUCCESS means.

To me, success is to never stop trying. I'll say that again... NEVER STOP TRYING.

Do you ever feel like you have tried something over and over and over? Maybe you have tried to tweak it, so you try a different way, but you want the same results?

For example, parenting. My daughter is nuts. She's spicy and fiery, and a lot to handle. And I keep trying to find ways to teach and discipline her that produce the same results = a happy obedient and sweet child. But I have seriously tried so many different approaches. But the main point is: Never Stop Trying. Olivia is worth the effort and the mental frustration. She won't always be a lot to handle (well, maybe that's not true) but one day I won't find her playing with ink cartridges for the printer. Or jumping off the edge of the pool with her puddle jumpers off and saying "I'm swimming! I'm swimming" while she sinks. Don't worry - I'm always there to catch her, but shouldn't she have some fear??

Anyways - I just need to remember to never stop trying. Good results take work. A lot of work.

That being said, I love her fiercely.

Anyways.... On Saturday I went to Hobby Lobby to get me some yardage - I got white muslin to start prototyping (I love that word - my husband's an engineer, and he prototypes, so I can too ;) So bright and early this morning, when Olivia had a stuffy nose and I knew that I shouldn't go to the gym and infect the other kids at the child watch, I started prototyping.

I had a great pattern I wanted to try. It's the June bug Dress from Craftiness is Not Optional. I knew I liked the look of that dress and wanted a starting off point. I wanted to make the dress and discover  how I wanted to modify that look, so I could come up with something of my own. Well, I have the bodice mostly done, and I think I have my idea perfected.



While I do think this dress is awesome - it's beautiful. And the pattern and instructions are wonderful. Super clear and I only had to unpick on seam so far, and it was totally my fault. (Hey - that' s a big deal for me... I'm constantly messing up, I swear!)

Anyways, I realized that while this is a beautiful look, it's Jess's from CINO. It's not mine. I have a different look that I need to produce. But I'm super happy I still get this dress and I'm sure Olivia will look beautiful in it when I finish.

So - I'm succeeding. Because when I get this June bug dress done, I'm going to start my product. Because I think it will be awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(( Ha Ha side note: My son just asked me for a "small egg" or a "half an egg." ))

What crazy stuff do your kids ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment