Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nap Times

So, I'm sure any mother (or person in general) knows that nap times for little ones are ESSENTIAL. Kids are a handful, and we all need a little down time, right? I was so sad when my little Sam boy stopped taking naps as SOON as we brought Olivia home from the hospital. ((He was 2.5 years old)) Let me take that back - He would nap, but we would pay for it later. He would stay up until 10 or 11 at night because he just didn't need the sleep. So I finally transitioned him from naps, to just quiet times.

Well, Olivia is just barely 2, and a couple months ago decided that nap times were optional. She would play and sing, etc. The other day she didn't want to nap. I waited 45 minutes after I put her in her room and when I heard a noise, I walked in to see what she was up to. Well..... Her mattress was on the floor. (She has a crib turned toddler bed and she likes to take the mattress off). The sheet was off her mattress, and the makeshift curtains were half torn down. She's a firecracker. I have photos to document her craziness, but that's for another blog post and for embarrassment for her later ;)

Anyways - I have found THE ESSENTIAL activity in our life. This activity ensures Olivia will take a 2+ hour nap - AND that she will usually go down without crying. It's awesome. Here's a pic:



I know it's not up close, but you get the whole scenery and the feel of the place. I love our pool. We live in an apartment complex that really feels more like a resort. It's close enough to Jake's work that he even comes home for lunch sometimes and has a minute to jump in the pool with the kids before we have lunch on the pool deck. Wow. When did I ever get so lucky?

** We just moved from Nebraska to Florida a couple months ago, and I am loving it here -- completely and utterly missing friends, but loving what Florida has to offer! **

Lucky for me, swimming even works for Sam some glorious days....


So, I know... you are thinking.... "You have to go to the POOL to make sure you get a nap out of your toddler??" You don't feel at all bad for me, right? Well, I don't feel bad for myself most days either... But unless we swim for an hour or two EVERY DAY, or if she's unusually tired or sick, she won't nap. Even the park for a couple hours doesn't do it.

So - To the pool we will go. With lots of sunshine, and sunscreen, and snacks. I already have more color than I ever did in Nebraska ((or Texas)) ((or Utah)) and it's only May.

But moving on.... This swimming routine leaves me a bit of time in the afternoon for my sewing. And I have made some strides -- The June bug dress from the last post is almost done - I just need to buy some snaps from Joann's/Hobby Lobby and sew them on. (( Tangent -- Why is it that I can take 2 kids 4 and under to the swimming pool for 2 hours, but I absolutely hate taking 2 kids to any store with me?? One run to Walmart - which I try to avoid - with both kids puts me out for the DAY. What?? What brand of sissy am I??)) So until I can get a few minutes alone with myself in one of those stores, that dress will go unfinished.

BUT - I started REALLY prototyping my design yesterday. Here's a sneak peak. Can't wait until it's done and I can work out the kinks and start picking fabrics (besides cheap muslin) for it!



Well, obviously Olivia is napping - because I am blogging. And we didn't swim today.... Maybe that was due to the fact that she woke up at 1:30 crying.... I think she had a nightmare?? She just wanted to cuddle. Then I couldn't get back to sleep until 4. Wow. I'm proud I'm awake myself right now!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any solutions for nightmares for little kids?

Do you have an activity you try and do to ensure your kids will nap?

No comments:

Post a Comment