Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day and Dress Numero One


Happy Memorial Day!

I am that person that has to be reminded that Memorial Day is NOT actually National BBQ Day, but a day to remember those who have passed on. I have to remind myself ALL day why Jake doesn't have to work, and why we get an extra play day. And obviously another opportunity to crash while eating bread ;)



I thought I would show you Dress Try Numero One. I'm a fan. Olivia looked smashing at church yesterday... but I'm super happy I got the pictures before we got in the van. Because once she was in the van she decided the leg warmers should actually be arm warmers, so there was a lot of leg showing at church. Good thing she has nice thighs ;)


So here's what I did - This is the June bug Dress from Jess at Craftiness is Not Optional. So, as you can see from this post, I had some diagonal lines running across the front. I love that look (That was an add on, not in the pattern). Anyways, I had the bodice all done according to the pattern and I took a break because Olivia was up from her nap. Later that night, Jake watched the kids and gave me some time to finish it up. He was doing the dishes and the kids were watching Dinosaur Train on TV.

That is a problem -- My computer is run through my TV. We have a Mac Mini (which we love) and the TV is the monitor for our computer. I love this set up most of the time. Except when I didn't print out the pattern directions and they are on my computer, and my kids are glued to the Dinosaur Show. So I decided I would wing the skirt, and I went to work.

Apparently my winging abilities are not exactly how Jess creates a pattern. So I made it work -- I didn't want to gather the skirt (it's not my favorite thing to do, and I like the look of pleats better anyways). So I did a little french seam on the skirt bottom (I made both the bodice and skirt fully lined because I was using muslin fabric) and put pleats in. Then I connected the bodice and skirt and did a french seam there again so there are no exposed seams. Awesome - I love that :)

But I didn't really like the look of the buttons I had, and button holes scare me (???) so I hand sewed some snaps on the front.

Anyways, it's a bit different than the June Bug dress, but I really love it. Like a lot. I can't wait to try that again with different fabrics too.

I also finished prototype #2 -- and I learned a lot. I modified a bit and finished Prototype #3. So I will be taking some more pictures. I need to do one more prototype... and hopefully I will have all the kinks worked out! Then on to choosing fabrics and working out those issues ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment