Friday, February 27, 2015

Sometimes.... I start to wonder who I really am....

So - There's a list of things I said I would "NEVER DO." Right? I'm sure you have a list like that.

Things like....

     1.  never marry someone who wanted a ton of kids. DONE! ((Though Jake is fine with not a ton of    
          kids also...)



     2.  never bribe my kid. DONE (millions of times, the most recently, being THIS -- I like to call it a      
          "potty training incentive" but it's more like "Hey Liv, I'm going to spend $$ this month on
           something, do you want it to be diapers, so something awesome?? Let's go with something
           awesome you don't pee on. Great!"

                      ** Update: I returned Doc McStuffins and got diapers. This potty training thing is NOT
                      for the weary and pregnant. Can someone just take care of this for us? I can't be a nice      
                      mom and potty train at the same time.... Tips?? **

                      ** Update #2: We are potty training AGAIN! But I feel like we are over the hump. We        
                      still have lots of work to do, but things are looking up! **

     3.  Never be a mom that doesn't get ready every day. DONE! Now I tell Jake he gets ONE thing
          (out of 3. I can a) shower, b) do my makeup, or c) do my hair. I will do ONE thing within a 24
          hour period, but it won't likely ALL happen together (( unless I'm headed to church or
          something like that )). BUT --- Today I showered, did my makeup, and my hair. ALL after
          exercising. I am superwoman I tell you.

                   ** I am doing better at this! I'm up to 2 a day more regularly now! **

     4. And I would NEVER homeschool my kid. Because those homeschooled kids are just weird.
         And their mom's too. ;)

So... I bet you can tell what I'm going to do. It's not showering and getting pretty every day. ((Though that would be GREAT, I'm sure!)). I think I'm going to homeschool Sam. WHAT???

It's hard to even type that. Like Really? I feel like I'm throwing my sanity out the door.

Now Sam doesn't drive me nuts (Liv does that).... But as most mom's know, there's this expectation that our kids will grow older and then they will start school. And THEN we can have some alone time. YES!!!! ALONE TIME!!! We can go grocery shopping, and shower, and all sorts of things I can't even imagine....

And I'm thinking of not doing that? Am I nuts? Please take my temperature SOMEONE!

I always thought that when all those little munchkins got to be old enough for school, I was going to study like a crazy woman and pass the bar (yes - I did graduate law school. no - I have never taken the bar). So am I suddenly giving up that dream?

Oh - I have NO idea. But.....

Here's what I do know. ((a.k.a. list of pros to home schooling))

1. We have been doing homeschool for preschool and it's going GREAT. We ALL love it. I love it.
     Sam loves it. Olivia loves it. Sam is doing really well and learning a lot. Olivia is also doing great.

2. I'm not a huge fan of schools in Florida. I didn't feel this way in Nebraska. I was comfortable with
    the school we were zoned for in Hastings, and I looked forward to Sam starting Kindergarten there.
    Here... it's another story. I don't want him to go to the school we are currently zoned for, but we
    could try to waive into another school. Which brings me to my next point:

3. Even if I could get him into a higher rated school where we live, I'm kind of weary about public
     schools in general. I mean, let's get all political now, but from what I understand of common core
     and the school system in general, I'm not a fan. I could go into more detail, but I'm not going to
     just yet.

4. I just feel good about it - even though I am super scared. How am I supposed to manage 3 kids, try
    to have a quilting business, and teach them all types of school stuff? Not sure, not sure.

         ** Update: Maybe Peyton (kiddos babysitter/playmate) is my answer here. She's wonderful! **

Either way, wish me luck! I'm going to need it!

And if you have homeschool tips, please share!

6 comments:

  1. You are superwoman!!! I told myself last year if I could do just 2 things a day for myself it would be a successful day (exercise and scripture reading ). Anything accomplished above that made me awesome. So I seriously think you are doing great and wonderfully ambitious for wanting to homeschool. you totally can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure you are super woman also! I seriously question my sanity almost every day about homeschooling... It might be rough! But thank you!

      Delete
  2. I very, VERY seriously considered this until I found out about some dual immersion programs- and yes, we even moved to get ALL our kids into a school with the program so they could all participate. Don't worry- you're NOT crazy. Go with your gut. You can get WAY more done homeschooling in FAR less time than public schools. I taught in public schools and am a big advocate for them and for teachers, but there are times and situations where it is NOT the best option!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are pretty amazing too - Where did you move to? I'm sure the neighborhood misses you guys!
      And I totally agree about getting more done in less time with homeschooling. It is pretty amazing how quickly they can learn when it's just them (and a little sister!).
      What dual immersion program are your kids in?

      Delete
  3. my mom said you were planning on homeschooling. i think it's awesome! i am partial to it even though I'm not homeschooling. There are some benefits and just because you homeschool now doesn't mean you need to for the rest of his schooling days. I toy with the idea of homeschooling often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think it's awesome until I have a day where the kiddos just drive me completely crazy... and I don't want to see them for at least 24 hrs.... And that's usually not an option! But there are so many benefits to homeschooling. I'm excited, but scared.
      Miss you!

      Delete